2009-09-12

Final horrors with Ubuntu and Debian install

After failing to install to an old drive with data on, I have several blog posts about it here, I try a new fresh install overwriting discs. This should be simple to get to work. This is a fairly recent computer, I know it runs Linux with not much trouble, I have tried it before. This reinstall idea started when the Ubuntu apt-get got into a Catch-22 situation, and I saw a reinstall as the only solution.

First attempt is Ubuntu 9.04 Alterative installer AMD64. It does not detect the network with DHCP. Really. I tried it several times.

Debian 5.02 XFCE graphical installer. No Ext4 file system included. Whatever. I just want something up running. No problems detecting network, that was some problem with Ubuntu. It installs fine and I reboot. Then there is a slight problem, my screen (connected with VGA) turns into power-save mode some time after starting booting, so when it is time to enter my name and login I can't see the screen. The only way to get to see the screen is to push the power-off button, then the login screen appears. But then of course it starts to reboot so to no use. Now I could search for a solution if there is one, but I have no patience left.

No comments:

Post a Comment